IBS Show – Iowa Information
We have a 30 room block at the Golden Nugget for the International Builders Show in Las Vegas next February. Rooms are priced at $69 for the Carson Tower and $99 for the Rush Tower King. We are planning an Iowa night party on Wednesday, February 5 at the Golden Nugget. Details on the block code will be in next week’s newsletter.
Sponsors Needed for Iowa Night Party at IBS
Traditionally we have asked for sponsorships to subsidize the Iowa Night Party. If your company would like to be one of those sponsors, please contact HBAI Executive Officer Jay Iverson. We would like to raise at least $2k and the more we raise, the more we can party. Thank you in advance!
Facebook – Okay, Five of you “Liked” it – let’s get a few more…
Okay, so we’re only a few years behind on this, but our Facebook page is up and running. As soon as we get more people liking and following it we’ll start posting good stuff on there. We’re sure more of you use Facebook than that. You may receive an email invitation, if we can figure it out.
HBAI Executive Officer Jay Iverson met with Iowa First District candidate Rod Blum last week to discuss our organization’s priorities and goals. Blum is heavily involved in the building industry.
Eastern Iowa – Pay Attention to Rod Blum
Are you ready for a political candidate who is ready to get things done and totally understands and supports our industry? Then pay attention to Rod Blum and try to meet him as he’s out and about. Here is a bit of information provided to us by his campaign staff:
Rod Blum is a Republican candidate for United States Congress in Iowa’s 1st District. A Dubuque native, he is a real estate developer and owns Digital Canal Corporation, which develops software for the home building industry. In 1998, Rod was named Iowa Entrepreneur of the year by Ernst & Young in 1998.
As a longtime member of the home building industry, Rod is in a unique position to understand the issues important to the Iowa homebuilding community. A staunch proponent of the free enterprise system, Rod will fight for less regulation and less government intervention that negatively affects the homebuilding market.
Rod is a lifelong business leader who has never held elected office, and will be a voice for common sense solutions to the many fiscal problems facing our country. You can find out more about Rod’s campaign for US Congress by visiting www.RodBlum.com.
Member Discounts – Pay for Your Dues With 10 Minutes Worth of Work
A reminder to capitalize on your member discounts – you dues can be paid for with ten minutes worth of work. If you need to know how it all works, send an email to HBAI Executive Officer Jay Iverson. Clickhere for the NAHB discounts and here for the HBAI Rebate Program.
NAHB Fall Board Recap
Here’s an abbreviated version of what happened last week in Colorado at the NAHB Fall Board Meeting:
- The code hearings for the 2015 code were wrapping up during the NAHB Fall Board meetings. We were successful on 40% of what we had asked for, including all of the large expenditure items.
- The bylaws were changed to address new leadership roles for associate members, both nationally and locally (with appropriate local bylaw changes).
- The new legal counsel is working on new procedures for A, D, and C loans being able to be sold in the secondary market.
- The 2014 NAHB budget was passed with a negative eight million deficit. Plans are for the organization to be in the black in 2016, thanks in part to the lease of the top floor of the housing center.
- The Remodeler’s Council will be increasing dues $10 in 2014.
- There was a net gain of 500 new members nationally for September, but 75% of the HBA’s participating in the membership drive are concentrating on October.
Statewide Membership Campaign Update
Reports are coming in that we’re not exactly pulling in vast numbers of new members. Hopefully some of you are sandbagging until the very end to secure some excellent prizes. Let’s get after it. Nothing sells a membership better than ensuring that your suppliers, subs, and reps are supporting the industry through their support of the federation. We have $2,500 worth of prizes for those of you who bring in new members, that’s not a bad incentive.