HBAI New Office Location
We will have a new HBAI office setup in mid-December with plans to move into the Capitol Center III building near the Iowa Capitol. It’s very central to our conduct of business and the idea of being neighbors with quite a few state power players is very exciting. Our neighbors in the same hallway include the taxpayers association and the Association of Business and Industry (ABI). There will be a cost savings compared to our current space, plenty of parking, and it’s easy to get to. The use of ABI’s training facilities and board room will also save us money.
HBAI Board of Directors & Annual Meeting on November 13
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for the Fall Board of Directors and HBAI Annual meeting on November 13 at the Czech Museum in Cedar Rapids. It’s going to be an exciting meeting.
Save Approximately $3,500 in Property Taxes – It Takes 10 Minutes
The Iowa legislature passed legislation in the past legislative session to make an attempt at giving some equality to the tax paid on commercial/industrial property in comparison to residential property. In order to be able to qualify for the business property tax credit, you have to apply for the credit which should take you no more than 10 minutes to complete the form and mail it to the assessors office (or hand deliver if you are concerned that they actually get the application) in the county where the property is located. The application has to be completed and on file by 1-15-2014 in order to apply for the credit in the first applicable period. The credit is in place on the property, once granted, until the property is sold/transferred.
Here are two key pieces of information – one is the actual form to complete and the other is a letter/memo that was prepared by the Carney & Appleby Law Firm which does an excellent job in explaining the legislation.
Keep in mind this business property tax credit could by applied for by you or you could pass along to your landlord if you lease (thereby helping your landlord save some money which could eventually save you money) or to other business associates you are in contact with.
Membership Campaign Ends Next Week
There is still time for you to recruit your builders, vendors, suppliers, and anyone else with an interest in being a part of a great organization. Our official membership campaign ends on October 31. Did we mention the prizes that you could win? It’s a great collection:
- Riverside Casino & Golf Resort All Inclusive Stay – 2 weekend nights lodging, 2 rounds of golf, 2 massages, $100 to Ruthie’s Restaurant, and $100 cash! A $700+ value!
- IPad Mini – These things are super cool – perfect to have in the field. A 32 GB unit worth $429!
- Samsung Smart TV –Clear Motion Rate 120 technology allows this Samsung UN32F5500AFXZA 32″ LED HDTV to deliver sharp 1080p visuals during fast-action scenes for thrilling entertainment. Five Smart Hub content panels let you easily browse Web content via built-in Wi-Fi. A $425 value!
- Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer – Thanks to American Contract Sales Division we have an awesome Kitchen Aid professional stand mixer. A $475 value!
- Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel & $50 Beef Industry Certificate – A tasty 750ml bottle of JD Single Barrel Whiskey and a beef certificate from the Iowa Beef Industry Council good anywhere beef is sold. It’s actually a check drawn on Wells Fargo, so you can use it at a restaurant or stock the freezer. A $100 value!
- Liberty Wine & $50 Beef Certificate – We will have two of these prizes (basically 5-7th place) – a bottle of 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon from Liberty School Vineyards and a $50 Iowa Beef certificate.
- $50 Beef Industry Council Certificate
Ties will be broken through a drawing and you win the next prize category if your name is not drawn. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact HBAI EO Jay Iverson.
Nearly $5,000 Contributed to Doug Mayo Scholarship Fund
Doug Mayo’s legacy as a preeminent HBA volunteer continues on through a scholarship in the HBAI Educational Corporation. Nearly $5k has been contributed thus far and it’s not to late to add to the collection. Contributions can be made to:
HBAI Educational Corporation
Doug Mayo Scholarship
3072 104th Street
Urbandale, IA 50266